Am 01/16/2014 04:22 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 6:17 PM, Dave Fisher<dave2w...@comcast.net>  wrote:

.
.
.

This can be done by updating the ssi setup

Add to all ssi.mdtext files a language property

Here is /fr/ssi.mdtext
language: fr
doctype: /doctype.html
brand:  /fr/brand.html
footer: /footer.html
topnav: /fr/topnav.html
home:           home

Edit template/skeleton.html

Change<html>  to<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"; lang="{{ ssi.headers.language }}"
xml:lang=""{{ ssi.headers.language }}"">

Rebuild ooo-site.

Warning this is a "sledgehammer" change. All pages are changed.

Any other skeleton changes for accessibility?

The other change -- which probably needs more discussion -- is to
implement some form of "skiplinks".  The current problem is a user
needs to tab over the navigation links on every page they load before
they get to the actual page contents.  Best practice is to have some
short cut to go directly to navigation, to content, to footer.  The
tricky thing is to do this in a way that works well with the page
design as well.

This page implements it in a clever way:

http://accessites.org/site/2006/05/skip-link-pros-and-cons/

Nice way to present the user a shortcut to some common link groups.

Hit tab a couple times in your browser and you'll see the links show
up in the upper right.  This is done with CSS tricks to position the
<ul>  off screen except when it has the focus.

So they have this meta-navigation:

<ul class="offset">
</ul>

And from http://accessites.org/site/wp-content/themes/beastblog-v2/style.css:

ul.offset, .offset {
   position : absolute;
   top : -9000px;
   left : -9000px;
   z-index : 9;
}

ul.offset a:focus, ul.offset a:active {
   position : absolute;
   top : 9010px;
   left : 9010px;
   background-color : #339999;
   color : #fff;
   padding : 5px;
   font-weight : bold;
   border : 2px solid #000;
   width : 6em;
   z-index : 9;
}

So navigation menu is 9000 pixels off the screen, except when it has
the focus, in which case it is brought in net 10 pixels.

But I wonder what happens if you try to print a page like that.
Hopefully the browsers are smart enough not to print many blank pages
followed by the off-screen menu...

My Firefox want to print 6 pages with only the expected content.

The complication with our website is that we have side menu navigation
on some (but not all pages).  But we have top nav, and footer, on all
pages.

Regards,

-Rob

Marcus