On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 09:40:25 +0200
Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org> wrote:

> Juergen Schmidt wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 17. April 2014 um 01:04 schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> >> It seems rather serious. I expect that "ordinary" private users are
> >> not affected so much, but corporate or institutional users may be.
> > this is very speculative and I am not aware of any reported problem
> > until now.
>
> Indeed this is just my expectation. I would like to ask the mailing
> lists for some dedicated testing and evaluation, as I wrote. But I can't
> even give users the link since our CI server is broken and nobody can
> download RC3 at the moment.
>
> I described the four "lost features" from Mozilla we identified so far
> (this one and the three from the release notes) and asked on the mailing
> lists in Italian if somebody is using them.
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/openoffice-utenti-it/201404.mbox/%3C534F8104.20408%40apache.org%3E
>
> (why the Italian lists? because digital signatures in OpenOffice are a
> topic that I've seen discussed there over the years) Does it make sense
> to send a warning to the international users list too?
>
> > Do we really want stop the current 4.1 release that is probably good
> > for > 95% of our users?
>
> We are estimating with no knowledge. A quick e-mail discussion on the
> users list would give us better information on whether we are dropping
> something critical for users or not. Then I perfectly understand that we
> have to deliver 4.1.0 in a reasonable timeframe and that we have no
> immediate solution for this removed feature.
>
> Ideally, we should at least conclude that:
>
> 1) the Windows version is completely unaffected (best way: ask people
> who rely on these features to test with the Beta or RC3)
>
> 2) the feature is not seen as critical in other environments (it isn't
> for me, it isn't for you; but we may be missing some important use cases).
>
> > I would go for the release, fix it and release a 4.1.1 when a fix is
> > available.
>
> If we are committed to fix it in 4.1.1 this is important to say too.
>
> Regards,
>    Andrea.

Another possibility: I am not au fait with Digital Signatures so may be utterly
off target

Would it be possible to (quickly) develop an extension that provided the
Digital Signature functionality? Then release of OO 4.1 could continue as
planned, with the Digital Signature functionality available by such an add-on?

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>