I agree there should be a more concerted efforts to add desktop
specific features (not only distros). Meaning a better integration
with KDE and Gnome notification system and others. Having libraries
that can route messages to the Kdialog (from the libnotify library)
and Gnome's Notifications.

The specification is well documented on freedesktop AFAIK.

On 4/20/14, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/20/2014 11:53 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>>
>> On 20 Apr  2014, at 14:02, Hagar Delest <hagar.del...@laposte.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> IMHO, most users just take what's provided by default. Unless it is
>>> too buggy. So I think that basically, we are back to the question:
>>> why AOO is still not available in the standard packages?
>>
>> There are several ways of answering your question. I'll take the high
>> road, and presume, for argument's sake, that the main Linux
>> Distributors (the "distros") are acting in good faith and chose to
>> align themselves with what they believed to be a sustainable
>> community organization ca. 2011.
>>
>> These main distros that most in the West think of when they think of
>> Linux, I'd guess, include Canonical's Ubuntu, Red Hat's Fedora
>> Project, and KDE.* (I didn't check SuSE.) None includes Apache
>> OpenOffice.
>
> Well KDE is a window system and not a distro. It is used on a variety of
> distros including openSUSE, Fedora, Ubuntu (Kubuntu), etc. But, your
> statement is true enough that no major Linux distribution includes
> Apache OpenOffice.
>
> (KDE's office apps,
>> http://www.kde.org/applications/office/, differ from the seemingly
>> more advanced—I don't know—Calligra Suite,
>> http://www.calligra-suite.org/, which just released 2.8.2 16 April;
>> there was a fork a few years ago.) Fedora Project office
>> applications, https://fedoraproject.org/en/features/#office, include
>> LibreOffice, as do Ubuntu's. Getting Apache OpenOffice and replacing
>> the default suite is, to my mind, more difficult than it ought to be.
>> (When i first started using Linux, it was KDE and I was excited that
>> I could select the packages I wanted installed and that it was
>> actually really easy to do so. About the only equivalent I can think
>> of now that recaptures that sort of ease and also excitement, is the
>> process for installing packages on jailbroken iOS devices.)
>>
>> Once upon a time—before the LibreOffice fork, all save KDE included
>> OpenOffice.org axiomatically. Sun's, and then Oracle's missteps and
>> the LO fork put in place a strategic realignment. It's main
>> effect—Linux users are the losers, if only because "choice" and "free
>> markets" have been deprecated--has probably not been the primary
>> advocates' wished-for outcome.
> At least, I hope not.
>>
>> Getting the primary distros back to supporting choice and free
>> markets for users would be nice. But I believe that, however loudly
>> we hear the cry of community, what really determines things for
>> Ubuntu and Fedora is what the sponsoring corporation wants and thinks
>> is in its best interests, or at least those of its financial
>> backers.
>
> ...well this is an interesting statement.
>
> Getting back to both this and Hagar's response. If we see that getting
> AOO back into distro repositories is our job, then that's that.

> [...]

Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor
http://www.openoffice.org