On 20/04/2014 Kay Schenk wrote:
Many Linux distros maintain "community" repositories and perhaps its
easiest to use that sort of mechanism for reintegration.

Not to diminish this thread (on the contrary, there were a number of good messages, insightful remarks and a very diverse participation, I'm finding it very inspirational so far!), but indeed it would be time to stop talking and start doing.

The "community repositories" solution outlined by Kay above is the simplest one in our case. As a project, we are able to do (and we actually do!) things that are much more complex than that.

Official support in distributions is more difficult to obtain and requires obeying different policies, so I see it as a second step. But a first, feasible, step, is to experiment with unofficial repositories that allow terminal-averse Linux users (they exist, it seems) to get OpenOffice 4.1. I'm interested in doing some work personally in this direction, and I've already taken some basic steps; if anyone wants to join the effort, please say so and we may get it done sooner!

Regards,
  Andrea.