Hi,

On 23.04.2014 09:03, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
When someone complained that OpenOffice crashed on their company
documents, I've always answered that either they made the documents
available in Bugzilla or we couldn't do anything about it. Now it
happened to me and I realize that my suggestion is easier said than done!

I received a DOCX document that OpenOffice Writer cannot open (crash).
The company that sent it to me cannot make it public: it's a
confidential work document.

In general how can we handle this? It's very important for the project
to have a good reputation in companies, so if we crash on company
templates we should be able to know it and fix it.

What options do we have available? Do we accept private attachments in
Bugzilla? Can a properly obtained stack trace replace the need for the
actual document, maybe? Other options?

Note: in my case I already asked for, and received, a working ODT
version. I'm interested in the generic discussion.

Yes, such use cases are hard to handle in a public and transparent working open-source community.

The already made suggestion to consult a professional in our OpenOffice eco-system and secure the document by a corresponding contract is one way.

Another one would be to simply trust a certain community member who is able and willing to solve the problem and share the document with this community member.

I do not think that we as an open-source project at Apache are in the position to provide a service for such business-making use cases. That is of course the area of the professional eco-system around OpenOffice as stated above.

Best regards, Oliver.

Regards,
   Andrea.