On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 6:53 AM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 12:34:33 +0200
> dav...@flossconsulting.it wrote:
>

>> > What options do we have available? Do we accept private attachments in
>> > Bugzilla? Can a properly obtained stack trace replace the need for the
>> > actual document, maybe? Other options?
>>
>> What about anonymize the DOCX by searching and replacing any simple char
>> with X char?
>> With MS Office of course....
>>
>> Davide
>>

>> > Note: in my case I already asked for, and received, a working ODT
>> > version. I'm interested in the generic discussion.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >   Andrea.
>
> One can't anonymize an unopenable file! It would have to be done using the
> generating application.

But it is possible, in theory to do something like this with the
Apache ODF Toolkit (incubating).

But it is tricky, especially if the document has embedded documents,
OLE embeddings, images with confidential information, etc.  You could
need to replace it all.  But the stuff you replace might be the source
of the crash.

A safer way is for the person who edited the document to do a binary
search for the issue, e.g., creating test documents containing the
first half of the document and another with the 2nd half.  See which
one crashes.  Then divide that test document.  And so on, until you've
narrowed down what is causing the crash.  Of course, not all crashes
can be narrowed down that way, but many can.

-Rob