Jupiter Weinman wrote:
>  Hello Members of Apache OpenOffice,
>
>     My name is Matthew Weinman. I am interested in gaining knowledge
> and experience
> in the field of technical writing. I am a published author of fiction,
> which I know is
> much different, and have recently graduated from a small college with an
> English
> degree.
>
>     I know very little about the field of technical writing, but feel
> with my background
> I would be able to develop the skills necessary to make a career in
> tech-writing.
> Since I've never been in a group such as this, I'm wondering, "How do I even
> get started?"
>
>     The, 'Introduction to Contributing,' page advised me to send an
> email to this
> account, then, I would be on the mailing list. I'm excited to start and any
> information on the field of technical writing would be much appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Matthew Weinman

Welcome Matthew;

First let me apologize for the lateness of this reply. Unfortunately
your original got lost in the fairly hi volume traffic of this list. If
you are interested in joining the documentation team I would suggest the
following page as a starter.
http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-doc.html. This is the
orientation page for the Documentation team. I also highly recommend the
level One and Two pages from
http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/index.html. They give a good
overview of how the project is structured and the infrastructure that it
utilizes.

Your background in English will be a great help as we need editors to
review and make changes in grammatical structure and the like. Some of
our writers do not have English as a first language, and some of us,
mostly myself, are native speakers, but are not always expert grammarians.

I look forward to working with you.

Regards
Keith N. McKenna