As you may know, the OOXML support of OpenOffice is not very good. It is also a feature that many of our users are asking for. Therefore I would like to propose that we focus our work on OOXML import and export.

OOXML support consists of three parts: the import, the export, and the implementation of features that are missing in OpenOffice. It is a large task and will easily occupy us for two releases or more. It is likely that much of the initial work will not be very visible and will not contribute much to the next release. But I am convinced that it is preferable to start working on this important feature now than on some more obvious UI changes (but there are some smaller features that we can and should still do, like making the UI more flat or replacing the application icons).

In a separate proposal I will talk more about the technical aspects of the OOXML support.

Regards,
Andre