Building on Linux is quite painless. You could also give a try to
building yourself.
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step#Ubuntu_12.04
needs some obvious updates (and it doesn't work verbatim for 14.04, see
this list's archives and bugzilla about 14.04) but is quite
straightforward.

Not with my Laptop. The next release would be earlier. ;-)

If you are going to give it a try, we can give you further guidance.

With a new powerful computer (hopefully this year) I can give it a try. But on the new computer there will run also a new Ubuntu system. With virtual machines for testing other systems. :-)

Regards, Mathias