> Herbert Duerr wrote:
>
>> The "localized" and "stable" folders only provide the old 3.2.x, 3.3.0
>> and 3.4.x releases, so getting more than 28000 weekly downloads there is
>> an alarming signal.
>>

> This could be our fault too. It seems that "localized" is mainly used to
> serve these languages (using numbers from http://sourceforge.net/
> projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/localized/ ):
> pl 9500
> nb 3400
> da 2700
> es 2100
>
> For Danish, the problem is surely coming from ourselves: we are not
> listing 4.1.0 at http://www.openoffice.org/da/ (discussed at
> http://markmail.org/message/ibhey3f7jt6b7db2 , I'll fix it now so we can
> see if the number decreases). For other languages, we should check our own
> site first!
>

>  I'd like to clean up the "localized", "stable", "extended", "contrib"
>> and "packages" top-level directories by either
>> - removing them altogether
>> - recreate a 3.4.1 folder and remove the others
>> - recreate a 3.4.1 and an old-OOo folder and remove the others
>>

> Breaking existing links is very bad. If people are getting these files, we
> can't just remove them. I'd rather work on the causes (let's see what
> Danish looks like in one week) and we can add a README.txt or something if
> you believe people are browsing the SourceForge file tree and getting lost;
> but files are there, they are being heavily downloaded and removing there
> immediately would simply cause confusion.

Excellent analysis, and I totally agree on conclusions. I have a couple of
things to add:

1. we are open to investigate end-users' patterns if that helps, let me
know if any file in particular worth that
2. we might use symlinks if we end up by figuring out that some behaviours
are 'wrong' (e.g. referrals) or just the result of people looking for
'stable' versions

PS if we go with symlinks note that it will affect downloads stats for
those specifics files

Roberto