D B - Katrina wrote:
Hello,My name is Katrina. I'm interested in technical writing. I'm
considering going to college for it actually, but I would love to do
some volunteer work with open office to get a better idea of what
it's all about. I live in Canada and my English is excellent.

Welcome! Alexandro already sent you the relevant pointers. When you are done with that, please take a look at our ongoing User Guide project: https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide

We'd like to move much faster on that, and we currently need proofreading (all pages were written by non-native English speakers), screenshots and suggestions on the structure. Please send your comments to the documentation list http://openoffice.apache.org/mailing-lists.html and we will create an account for you to edit those pages directly.

Regards,
  Andrea.