OpenOffice has been approached by students for a one semester project
(approximately 96 hours) involving an open source project, see the
following thread--
http://markmail.org/message/2uxfdm2tjh7ei2zl

They are using Ubuntu.

Recently, we had a post regarding broken desktop integration for debian.
See this thread at:

http://markmail.org/message/t5i57kr4z4bfffyp

After reading this one, I started some research on why/how to integrate
freedesktop.org into debian (a system I personally do not use). Not
using a debian-based Linux distro, it never occurred to me that only one
desktop integration was provided for debian.

Would it be beneficial to have the students work on freedesktop
integration for our debian builds? I would prepare an issue with
pertinent details as far as I am able , but would rely on some of our
debian-based developers to fill in some pieces.

Thoughts?