There are two big fronts where there has been no change in AOO for a good
while and would be rather simple and quite significant if some developers
can put behind it.

Presentations:
2 big problems with presentation:
- We still do it like it's 1993
- We still do it like it's 1963

We still trying to do webcasts in scripting language like Perl, and ASP,
really? ASP?

We still get ourself infront of a crowd and project into a opaque screen in
an age when everyone have multiple bright high resolution HD displays in
their pocket or their laps.

We really need to step up in the area of webcasting. For a simple script
that uses a template, we could do much better if we can update our
languages to something more modern like PHP, (yes as modern as 2001). And
maybe make up for the lost time and implement Node.js. Updating the webcast
wizard and the languages is something that a developer with enough
experience could do in a weekend, and somebody with more time could
actually make it even better.

Here is when both ideas can merge. Why can't we use a small embeded server
(like the python's SimpleHTTPServer from the PyUNO Standard Library
included in any AOO copy). And use some GUI mechanism to broadcast our
presentation over the LAN. That way we can just put the URL into our
projection and people (in the back) can 'connect' to our LAN broadcast and
see it like if they were right upfront.

This seems like a hack, but also very useful to do if you are used to doing
live conferences.

If you want to go beyond this idea, I encourage people to think on what can
we do on our part to make web deployment of presentations easier. Think
pre-recorded presentations like what Slideshare do (check image):
http://www.dalebasler.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/slidecast.jpg

Transforming impress into an authoring program might be a bit disruptive,
but it's certainly useful to have a single audio recording that allow us to
map our slides to the timeline of the audio in order to generate a
self-containing file that could be the closest to a youtube presentation.

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor