Jose R R wrote:
from the perspective of someone who downloads the the latest OO
version, it should be assumed that *all* the default components are
updated for that release.

I don't have an opinion on the original post and I didn't verify the claim. However, just to clarify dictionary updates vs OpenOffice updates: dictionaries are updated every month, while OpenOffice releases are less frequent, one every 3-4 months; so when version 4.1.1 was released, last August, it bundled the dictionary that was current at that time; the next release will bundle the dictionary that will be current when we release. In the meantime, dictionary updates are published independently and users, with the default settings, are notified of the available dictionary updates when they launch OpenOffice.

Regards,
  Andrea.