On 1 January 2015 at 22:57, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org> wrote:

> As I wrote yesterday, it's time to start looking for a new PMC Chair that
> can replace me (only for these specific duties; I'll of course continue
> with all my other activities, that are the vast majority) when applicable.
> We are not in a hurry as I will take care of the January Board report, but
> it's good to start moving.
>
> Let's take several days, until 10 January, to receive nominations (or
> self-nominations) for the next PMC Chair. Just reply to this e-mail with
> nominations.
>
> My duties as a Chair cover only a minimal part of my activity in
> OpenOffice, so it's good that I point out what is expected of a Chair:
> http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair
>
> 1) The Chair is the interface between the Project Management Committee and
> the Apache Board. The Chair takes responsibilities for the quarterly report
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Board+Reports
>
> 2) The chair is a facilitator and their role within the PMC is to ensure
> that everyone has a chance to be heard and to enable meetings to flow
> smoothly. There is no concept of "leader" in the Apache way.
>
> 3) After the project has elected new committers or PMC members, the Chair
> is responsible for the needed updates to the Apache LDAP groups.

You describe very correctly the duties of a chair, seen from our bylaws.
But apart from that, there seems be an unwritten rule.... the chair is
normally also quite active..

In the bigger part of ASF projects, the PMC is active together with the
chair, in that case chair function is purely administrative.

You can find some project where the chair is active, but the rest of the
PMC is only limited active, in that case the chair should be active in
reactivating the PMC.

I have yet to find a project where the chair is inactive while the PMC is
active.

Bear in mind I dont speak of the chair as a role (which you have already
correctly described), but the person behind the role. That person, should
always have a finger on the pulse of  the community, be prepared to help
solve conflicts....of course if the PMC group is active, this is not a
problem.....and most importantly that person should having the backing of
the PMC group.

rgds
jan I.