From: jonathon [mailto:toki.kant...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2015 03:54
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Inappropriate "Compliance Costs"

[ ... ]

###

Addressing various issues mentioned in other emails.

> The page under discussion identifies some worst-case situations that
are not representative of what happens,

FWIW, as far as SBA compliance is concerned, it does not cover worst
case scenarios, but rather, average to _best_ case scenarios. (IOW, if
anything, it understates what happens, if the SBA targets your business.
 Also, contrary to SBA claims, they individuals are also targetted.)

As far as FSF compliance is concerned, their formal policy is to work
with organizations, and _not_ go to court. Even in court, they are
willing to settle at any point during the trial, up to, and including
seconds before the judge issues the official verdict.(IOW, if you are in
court for a GPL violation filed by FSF, it is either because your
attorney is incredibly incompetent, or you are incredibly stubborn.)

In both instances, there won't be much, if anything, in the court
records. The SBA takes, without going to court, and the FSF simply
insists on making changes in the organization's operations, so that it
fully complies with _all_ software licenses, not just the FLOSS licenses.

What one can find, is FSF and SBA press releases, that describe what
happens when they do find violations.

> I submit that a software producer could distribute binaries under
per-seat licenses that were based on software completely under a
permissive license and dispute violations of the terms under which those
binaries were made available to a customer.

Whether or not said producer gets anywhere legally, depends upon the
specific license of the binary:
* With GNU GPL 2.0, odds are the producer qua plaintiff, gets to pay
defendant's court costs;
* With BSD, odds are the defendant loses the lawsuit, because they did
violate the license;

There were a few firms that distributed OOo under a per seat license.
They all appear to be out of business.

There were, and are some firms that provide LibO & AOo support, on a per
seat basis. They appear to have an informal policy of allowing a
percentage of understatement of seats, whilst providing full support for
all seats.

[ ... ]