You cannot disable the preprocessor.  That will cause *everything* to fail.

Some place, there is a

        #define OPTIONAL <value>

That you want to work.  It might be in an #include file.  Ideally, it is in the
same file where it is being used, but that may be unlikely.

You need to find all of the places in the code that uses that header and uses
OPTIONAL and it is not in anything like #ifdef OPTIONAL but some usage where it
is clear that a variable or expression form is expected in regular code.  That
is likely the one place where you are seeing the failure.

The clean fix is to change the name in both places.  Most programs are careful
to do this in the first place, to avoid conflicts with other usage of a similar
term.

Because this is an .hdl, it may be more complicated than that.  There may also
be failures elsewhere that are undetected because they do not cause a syntax
error.

I am not where I can look right now.  Nose around.  There should be some
related definitions in the same part of the source tree.

 - Dennis