There are users who will find the political drama compelling.  There is nothing
to be done about that.  It does not make the product better and it distracts
those who want to find ways to serve the broad community no matter what code
base is being worked on.

The asymmetrical situation around licenses is a factor, although what matters
more to users is how that shows up in what they have in their hands to use.

I found the greatest value in the linked article to be about the fairly
balanced view of the three productivity-suite options, assuming that the reader
is on a platform where all are available.

It seems to me that the greatest concern to this community is the practical
experience users are and will have and how this project can serve those
concerns, especially with regard to assured usability of present documents and
also the skills that have been developed in working with them.

 - Dennis

PS: On the interoperable-use challenge lurking in the article,

The historical business was too long and not so meaningful to user needs
compared to the -- important for us -- slow but steady divergence of the two
OpenOffice.org descendants not so much in features and release cadence but core
functions around format conversion/interchange.  That divergence is eroding
common support for the ODF format and OOXML interchange (i.e., functioning in a
world where Microsoft Office documents cannot be ignored).  Incompatibilities
at that level impede interoperable multi-product and cross-platform use where
that is important.

One of the greatest appeals of the OpenOffice.org family is the presence of
consistent cross-platform support not available anywhere else (yet) in
conjunction with the ODF format.  This appeals to civil authorities and
institutions not just for economy under actual user conditions (which may or
may not be achievable as promised in a particular situation).

The free ODF/OOXML-supporting products matter for durable preservation and
interchange of documents, especially those employed in public services, without
*requiring* use of commercial software as institutions move to delivery of
services and coordination with the public by digital means.  Substitutability
has been promoted to those organizations as a safeguard for adoption of these
products.