+1 to using more Java.

The Apache Software Foundation is indeed about Java (not exclusively but
it's likely to be the most popular language).

FWIW, there was something we discussed briefly in ApacheCon 2014,
just an idea floating in the air that I'll share ...

Since OpenOffice first came into Apache we have been cleaning and cleaning code. Initially we were replacing the copyleft parts but it was evident that everything we changed actually needed to be changed
and that no one else was doing it. At some point some of us just
though that OpenOffice needs a complete remake of it's guts.

We even discussed about someone that wrote his own office suite with
Apache POI in two weeks ... and the expectations about having an
office suite more related to the mobile markets and the cloud. We
were considering something that we would name OpenOffice light.

That same week Corinthia was born and we forgot about AOO Light ...

Pedro.