I recently started a download of all of the AOO 4.1.2 rc2 candidates, then see
how long it was going to take and let it run overnight.  In the morning, the
download had failed to get them all.

What struck me however is how big the downloads are.

There are full pre-built, installable binaries for 41 separate languages, and
separately-introducible smaller language packs for each of them as well.

The pre-built binaries for each single language take 1s gigabyte, in six sets:

  4 flavors for Linux, taking 67%
  1 flavor for MacOS, for 18%
  1 flavor for Windows (win32 x86), for 15%.

Yet the popularity of pre-built binaries, based on download statistics, is
inverted, with about 88% for Windows, 9% for MacOS, and 3% for everything else.

Now 3.2% (the actual fraction) of 41 million downloads of AOO 4.1.1 is still
1.3 million that include those Linux cases.

QUESTION: Considering only pre-built binaries for downloading, my question is,
when is it time to reduce those that represent inordinate demands to the needs
for QA, distribution, and support?

EXCLUDED:

 1. This question is not about the relative use of pre-built full binaries for
each of 41 languages.  There are other questions we could ask about that.  (The
language packs for given languages are much smaller than the full binaries
though, taking about 20MB per flavor.)

 2. This question is not about the source codes and the SDK.  It is also not
about the value of building and testing for different platforms.  It is only
about distributing pre-built binaries.

I suspect there are more details, and better questions, that could be raised.

I'm all ears.  What are your concerns?  What do you see being overlooked in
this calculus?

 - Dennis

[ ... ]