On 21/10/2015 Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
   4 flavors for Linux, taking 67%
   1 flavor for MacOS, for 18%
   1 flavor for Windows (win32 x86), for 15%. ...
when is it time to reduce those that represent inordinate demands to the needs
for QA, distribution, and support?

The time is now. Not in terms of QA and support (we can cope with that), but in terms of packaging. A very significant bottleneck we have is the upload process to make binaries available: true, we are in 2015, but 40 GBytes are still a big amount of data to move around. Uploading RC1 took more than four days of attempts; then things were streamlined with the help of Infra, but still very painful at times.

We need to reduce it to somewhere between 20 and 30 GBytes. We could be much more aggressive, but reducing to 20-30 GBytes would have resulted in several days saved when evaluating/testing the 3 RCs we made for OpenOffice 4.1.2.

The good thing is that, for Linux, it seems we can rearrange packages in a way that:
1) Does not require any changes to download scripts
2) Does not require major changes to the installation experience
3) Allows to reduce disk space for a full release by at least 10 GBytes

I didn't have time for completing the tests last weekend, but if this succeeds it will be worth evaluating. From a release management point of view, this is the only concern: creating binary packages for Linux-based systems, testing them and supporting them is covered. Disk space (actually, over-the-network file transfers) is the main issue.

Regards,
  Andrea.