On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 11:22 PM, Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org> wrote:

> On 10/29/2015 12:20 PM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 7:44 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orc...@apache.org>
>> wrote:

>> Three paths come to mind.
>>>
>>>   A. Remove the Java dependencies.
>>>

>> Impossible. JDBC drivers for example, are the lifeblood of Base.
>>

> It depends on what you mean by "Impossible". For example, the existence of
> the JDBC drivers proves that it is possible to implement interfaces with
> all the capabilities of JDBC without depending on it. On the other hand, it
> may be impossible to implement the JDBC features Base needs in a reasonable
> time with the available resources.

We don't develop JDBC drivers, third parties do. This means we don't even
always have source code for JDBC drivers available to port to something
else like SDBC or ODBC. Our default database type is HSQLDB, for which only
the JDBC driver supports all the features - the ODBC driver for it is only
alpha status, only for version 2.x (we use 1.8), and it doesn't support
database metadata (which I am pretty sure Base needs).

> My questions are:
>
> 1. What is the cleanest, lowest risk, way to get from here (Java
> dependent) to there (Java independent) in each area?
>
> 2. How much work would it be?
>
> 3. Does AOO have that much development effort available, and if so is it
> the best use of that effort?
>
> If we continue with optional Java, I hope making it more convenient and
> unobtrusive for users, it is not an all-or-nothing situation. Each

Absolutely.