Damjan,

Thanks for the great summary of the situation, below.  I have a few supporting
comments there.

[orcmid]

A while ago I started digging into how to improve the messages that do come up,
although that doesn't remove users being trap-doored.

I discovered that the way exceptions are chained together and used to build the
resulting message dialog to users is difficult to untangle.  My concern was
that the user would receive multiple messages that all specified the same
remedy (pointing to a single web page where details and the cure can be found).
 It may be appropriate to do that anyhow until a better solution is found.  A
quick fix for that part should not be too troublesome, other than needing new
localizations for the few dialogs involved.

By the way, the way Base chains exception messages and presents them looks like
the technique that should be used in all of the code, since it provides
invaluable diagnostic information.

I think releasing an x64 version for Windows would be great, although an x86
version would still be required so long as we support XP (or continue to
provide simple/security updates to the last XP-compatible distribution).  This
should be a separate topic, because it also involves code signing, building
"dual" installers, and going to a modern installation process.  The ultimate
goal should be to have the authentic Windows and Macintosh binaries be
acceptable in the respective store systems.  There are multiple moving parts to
orchestrate in getting there.  It's my impression that getting code signing in
place is an essential first step.

 - Dennis