Kay Schenk wrote:
On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 3:25 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
Between the moment a Release Candidate is tagged and the moment the vote
finishes we already have a week or so, since building the release and
uploading it takes days.
​OK, but this is after the fact. After the RC has been approved.

No, I mean before the fact. I mean, we do have a "frozen" source package when we start building all the binaries for any Release Candidate. Nothing forbids that PMC members, once properly informed via this list, start building using the very same sources that will be used to build binaries and make them available for testing. This means that we've always had about one week for PMC members to build their own version if they wanted to, as we need 3-4 days for building for all platforms and putting all binaries online, and then 3+ days for voting.

Regards,
  Andrea.