[orcmid]
Thanks Andreas,

Do you recommend the A:A unchanging behavior or the A$1:A$1048576 shrinking
behavior?  Do folks depend on the shrinking behavior of the idiom?

Won't the unchanging A:A type of behavior be more complicated to achieve?  It
means having true full column and full row recognized and displayed, including
input of the idiom form files, but using the idiom on output of ODF 1.2 open
formulas to preserve interoperability with older implementations.

PS: I notice if I insert rows, the range doesn't change.  Only if I delete rows
does the range shrink.  So if I add rows and then take them out, the range
decreases.  Not exactly marvelous.