Hello:

I just tried to build Apache OOo (current SVN trunk, checked out last night) from source. I generated the main/configure script and started out, setting options and installing missing libraries through the Debian package manager as I went along. That worked for a while, but eventually I got stumped.

Questions/issues:

1. I noticed that the options
--disable-odk, --disable-gnome-vfs, and --disable-gtk, while described in the help, failed with

-disable-gtk: command not found

etc. In the case of --disable-gtk, that actually got me stumped, as I'm not sure which libraries/packages I'm actually missing, and I couldn't find a proper place in the configure script to disable forcibly (as I had done with the others).

2. I rather would not build all of Openoffice; I only want to fix the included Python interpreter and pyuno library. I would like to use Apache OOo work with the library manager Bibus, which is a Python 2 program.

Debian ships with Libreoffice, which now includes only Python 3 and thus shuts out Bibus. Apache OOo ships with Python 2; however, the Python executable and the pyuno library that are bundled in the Debian files are compiled with UCS2 (16 bit) unicode support, whereas the Debian system Python and libraries are compiled with UCS4 (32 bit) unicode. This also makes the OOo and the system Python libraries incompatible.

I guess improving the system/OOo Python interoperability would benefit other users, too. Since the OOo build system already contains a --with-system-python flag, would it be possible to set that flag for compiling the Debian packages? Alternatively, is there a way to compile just Python and pyuno from source myself, without having to compile all the rest of OOo?

Thanks for any help, Michael

--
Michael Palmer

Department of Chemistry