On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 6:03 PM, Kay sch...@apache.org <ksch...@apache.org>
wrote:

> On 08/11/2016 01:42 AM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > If you've been checking the buildbots you'll see that all who don't use
> > --without-junit are currently broken in ./configure due to junit being
> too
> > old. This is unlikely to change, as the buildslaves are running Ubuntu
> > 10.04 which doesn't have newer versions of Junit available in apt.
> >
> > This is part of a bigger problem, which is that Junit's dependencies
> > changed multiple times in the 4.x releases, which is why I changed
> > configure.ac to need at least 4.11 (the maximum being 4.12).
> >
> > Instead of needing a correct system Junit version to run tests during the
> > build, and having to worry about having correct system versions of
> Hamcrest
> > on the classpath, should we not rather treat them like external
> > dependencies and download specific versions during ./bootstrap? It's
> under
> > 300 kB for both, and the bvt/fvt/pvt tests already download their own
> copy.
> >
> > Damjan
> >

> This would be OK with me. What version of the jre does Junit 4.11
> require? I can't find information about this on the junit site
> --http://junit.org/junit4/

Unzipping 4.11's JAR and running "file *" on some class files gives this:

ResultPrinter.class: compiled Java class data, version 49.0 (Java 1.5)
TestRunner.class:    compiled Java class data, version 49.0 (Java 1.5)
package-info.class:  compiled Java class data, version 49.0 (Java 1.5)

> Right now, we're still spec'd at jdk 1.6 for everything except Windows,
> but IMO we should advance to 1.7 .

+1. It would also be a major improvement to use 1.7's AutoCloseable and
try-with-resources to control UNO object lifetimes instead of relying on
garbage collection or explicit calls to dispose().