On 8/31/2016 10:25 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

-----Original Message----- From: Patricia Shanahan
[mailto:p...@acm.org] Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 12:57 To:
dev@openoffice.apache.org Subject: Re: Putting Windows First ( was
RE: null)

[ ... ] [orcmid]
I would like to suggest a way of squeezing out from between the
rock and hard place, and getting more developers:

Separate out the Windows build process. Pick one of the common
IDE's, and create a project file that sets all environment
variables for Windows. Get as close as possible to the step-by-step
build instructions for Windows being:

Check out the source from SVN.

Open the project file in $IDE$.
[orcmid]

I don't think it is necessary to have an IDE commitment.

Everything needed to do a build on Windows can be done with
command-line tools that are part of the Windows SDK.  Other externals
needed for builds can be obtained in Windows versions.  It is how
Visual Studio works -- it spawns command-line operations.

To me, direct use of command line tools feels like an awkward half-way
step between the punch cards I used when I started programming, and the
IDE's I use for most of my programming now.