I downloaded and installed Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.3_Win_x86_install_en-GB.exe. To my distress, when I first started it, it accepted "color" (US spelling) and rejected "colour" (English spelling).

I thought perhaps it picked up my previous use of en-US from my profile, but I got the same effect installing on a new Windows 10 computer that has never run any OpenOffice before.

It is using English, not American, spellings in the user interface, but I would have expected documents to also default to the installation language.

What language is supposed to be used, by default, for user documents?