Naren wrote:
Thank you so much, your quick reply is appreciated.
The currency of major economies is under Open Office-Insert-'special
characters'-Ariel -Basic Latin.

This is related to the font you are using, not to OpenOffice. The "Basic Latin" set is the oldest set and other currencies, like the Euro, are not listed there simply because they were introduced after the fonts were created. You will find Rupee, when available, under the "Currency Symbols" tab.

If you experiment with different fonts you will see that the Rupee is there among "Currency Symbols" even though (for what I can tell) some of the fonts we ship -we don't ship Arial- have it, like DejaVu Sans, and other do not, like Arimo and Tinos.

Regards,
  Andrea.