Am 11/24/2016 10:25 PM, schrieb Brian Barker:
I've been hearing from a intending user of OpenOffice who was repeatedly
finding the hashes on his downloads did not match. He (I think he was a
"he") had repeatedly downloaded form different mirrors but could not get
a match. He even, he says, tried other versions and other operating
systems. Clearly there was something wrong at his end. Can you guess yet?

as you don't write from where he has done the downloads, this could be a source of error.

1. Download OpenOffice from here [1].
2. Download te hash file from the same webpage (the links for the hash
   files (MD5 and SHA256) are in the light green box).
3. After the download is complete, generate the hash value from the
   downloaded OpenOffice file.
4. Compare it with the value of the downloaded hash file.

When the download was complete, not interrupted etc. then both hash values are the same.

He solved the problem by himself. Instead of comparing the hash derived
from the downloaded file with the *content* of the corresponding hash
file, he had been seeking a match with the hash derived from that hash
file. Now you and I might find that an unlikely course of action, but
how is someone taking it to realise his mistake?

Sorry, I don't understand what he has done. Comparing the file with itself?

I've been looking at http://www.openoffice.org/download/checksums.html .
It gives instructions such as "If both hash values do not match" and
"When both hash values match", though it does also say "Paste the hash
from the SHA256 / MD5 file you have downloaded. First you have to open
it and copy the hash value" and "Now compare the hash generated by
OpenSSL with the value in the file".

For the benefit of naive users - who may well not have been encouraged
to use such techniques before - are there enough clues on this web page
to assist anyone making this error?

If there are any mistakes or room for improvements, then please tell us.

Thanks

Marcus