Am 12/09/2016 06:37 PM, schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:

[...]

---------------
The future
---------------
52 of 182 modules (29%) are currently using gbuild, up from 40 (22%)
before my recent conversion burst began.

I am hacking and porting as many modules to gbuild as possible, as
soon as possible. The most important thing right now is to build up
experience and document as much of gbuild as possible (and sadly
dmake/build.pl/deliver, since understanding their files comes first),
to prepare for tackling the large modules and making changes to the
gbuild makefiles themselves.

The UNO modules seem easier to convert and many are really small. I am
currently converting the Java modules, and javaunohelper should be the
next to get committed.

I think another group needs to be added for libraries like
libstore.so.3 whose naming format isn't provided by any library group.
Yacc support also needs adding to gbuild for several modules that use
it to parse languages (IDL compilers, main/connectivity for parsing
SQL queries, etc.), and other gbuild infrastructure probably needs
developing further.

It seems Sun was trying to implement a "split build" before all the
modules were ported, where modules in first part are built with
build.pl, and those in the second part are built purely with a single
GNU make instance that can build multiple modules concurrently at a
file level, with maximum parallelization to give the highest
performance ;-), and would no longer need the prj/ subdirectories.
It's not clear to me how they were planning to do this or on exactly
which modules (the "late" modules would have been the first to go into
this gbuild-only part, of which Calc is the last of the "big 6" that
aren't in gbuild yet), but I can't wait to start telling dmake and
build.pl goodbye!

unfortunately, I cannot provide you with much help. The only thing I can do is bulding the beast and report back problems.

But besides this I like your work. It's great to see a successful way towards a single and improved build system.

In the meantime we could paint a "Goodbye" sign for the special day. :-)

Again, thanks for your effort.

Marcus