[orcmid]

Try a couple of things:

 1. Put spaces in the "=~" to be something like " = ~" in the definition of
bit_mask.

 2. If that makes no difference, try

          bit_mask = ~ ((value_type)(~0 << bits_per_pixel))

    and if that doesn't work, see if

          bit_mask = ~ ((int)(~0 << bits_per_pixel))

    or even

          bit_mask = (int) (~(~0 << bits_per_pixel))

    get the job done.

It seems strange for an enum being used this way.  It is a clumsy way to define
two numeric constants that are not involved in an enumeration at all.