Yes, I had the array activity in mind.
I am suggesting to do the same for pointers and references.

I am unsure which std methods are available in gcc version 4.1 or 4.4 however
we could maybe in case of smart and weak pointers fall back to boost if not
available in the compiler.

By this we can
# reduce code
# modernize code
# while keeping support for pretty old systems. (Like centos 5)

All the best
Peter