On 29 Sep, Matthias Seidel wrote:
> That might explain why I have never seen a working WikiPublisher in the
> last releases.
> (Since at least 4.1.2 we build with that option on Windows)
>
> The question is: Do we need to build with that option if no one missed
> the plugin?

I've never tried to use it, so I don't know if it works or not.

I think I've figured out what is going on.  The reason that tomcat isn't
getting built when --enable-wiki-publisher is specified is that the
swext module doesn't list tomcat as a dependency.  That said, I didn't
find any references to servlet-api.jar in the swext module.  The only
references that I found in the tree were in the commons-logging makefile
in the apache-commons module.  As near as I can tell, servlet-api.jar is
an optional dependency for unit testing.

The FreeBSD port specifies --with-system-apache-commons=yes, so I think
it should be fine as is.  The ports that bundle apache-commons are
probably unlikely to specify an external servlet-api.jar, and I think
they should work OK because apache-commons lists tomcat as a dependency
and configure adds TOMCAT to $BUILD_TYPE.

I think that the code in configure that handles
--with-system-servlet-api is misplaced.  I think it should be in the
section that handles the --without-system-apache-commons case.  If a
user specifies --with-system-servlet-api, then running tomcat should not
be necessary when building the bundled apache-commons .jar files.  The
only reason that I can think of for why it ended up here is that the
WikiPublisher was the first in-tree consumer of commons-logging.