Hi Keith,

[...]

What is relevant is that having it
> functional would be a good enhancement to the product as well as
> provicing the potential of benefit to the project.

I entirely agree with your position an I have a suggestion.
Why not to try a win-win with The Wikimedia Foundation ?
Due to the decrease of their number of editors, they absolutely need new
ones and try to find them, among others, in the educational area, where
AOO/LibO are often used by students.
A good functionality in AOO allowing to edit wiki articles could also raise
the visibility and use of AOO.
Perhaps also an opportunity for some coders of the AOO project, since WMF
often offers financial support to projects which help them to
maintain/develop their encyclopedy.
Only my personal opinion. I do not know if such a collaboration is allowed
by Apache, but perhaps it could boost the AOO project and its visibility.

Cheers