Jim Jagielski wrote:
Either we make gstreamer 1.0 an external download dependency,
so we can continue to build on CentOS6, or else we decide that
we switch to Ubuntu as our "official" build platform for our
community releases.

Can we define the problem better?

I assume the gstreamer license hasn't changed. So the licensing issues holds the same whether we use 0.10 or 1.x.

On CentOS 5 we used to install it in the system as described here:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step#CentOS_5_for_AOO_4.1.x
(packages gstreamer-devel and gstreamer-plugins-base-devel)

CentOS 6 indeed still ships with 0.10
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6/os/x86_64/Packages/
and it seems that EPEL (a semi-official extra repository with additional packages) does not ship it either.

The reason for using CentOS 6 is "we use a Linux system that is old enough for any user system to be the same or more recent"; this is to prevent glibc conflicts.

So the real question is: does gstreamer 1.0 (or its dependencies) require a glibc version that is higher than 2.12 (as found in CentOS 6), or other dependencies that have the same problem? Otherwise we can probably look into building it.

Regards,
  Andrea.