In main/avmedia/source/inc/mediamisc.hxx, the media player is chosen with
the following code. Note how GStreamer is only used on non-Windows non-Mac
platforms.

#ifdef WNT

#define AVMEDIA_MANAGER_SERVICE_NAME
"com.sun.star.comp.avmedia.Manager_DirectX"
#define AVMEDIA_MANAGER_SERVICE_IS_JAVABASED            sal_False

#define AVMEDIA_MANAGER_SERVICE_NAME_FALLBACK1          ""
#define AVMEDIA_MANAGER_SERVICE_IS_JAVABASED_FALLBACK1  sal_False

#else
#ifdef QUARTZ

#define AVMEDIA_MANAGER_SERVICE_NAME
"com.sun.star.comp.avmedia.Manager_QuickTime"
#define AVMEDIA_MANAGER_SERVICE_IS_JAVABASED            sal_False

#define AVMEDIA_MANAGER_SERVICE_NAME_FALLBACK1
"com.sun.star.comp.avmedia.Manager_MacAVF"
#define AVMEDIA_MANAGER_SERVICE_IS_JAVABASED_FALLBACK1  sal_False

#else

#define AVMEDIA_MANAGER_SERVICE_NAME
"com.sun.star.comp.avmedia.Manager_GStreamer"
#define AVMEDIA_MANAGER_SERVICE_IS_JAVABASED            sal_False

#define AVMEDIA_MANAGER_SERVICE_NAME_FALLBACK1
"com.sun.star.comp.avmedia.Manager_Java"
#define AVMEDIA_MANAGER_SERVICE_IS_JAVABASED_FALLBACK1  sal_True

#endif
#endif