Am 22.01.19 um 19:12 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
I am trying to understand the various numberings we have and where they count
and what they mean.

Of course, the X.Y.Z numbers make sense... but then we have a "BUILD" number
and a 'mX' number

uhh OK, digging a bit in old Sun times. ;-)

- The x.y.z is the official and public number space.

- The build ID - at least in former Sun-times - was used to create a difference for every build that was started; regardless how small the change was compared to the previous build.

- The m number (m means milestone) was used as "container" to make visible which changes belong together [1]. These changes were committed / merged into the same CWS / branch [2]

For specific reasons (bugfixes, incompatible changes, etc.) this m number was increased. It was often used for indexing beta versions or release candidates.

What are they for? Can a 4.2.0 have a build of say 9810 and a 4.17 of 9812?

Yes, the following was possible (just an example, I don't know if this really existed in the past):

3.4.1 m1 9001
3.2.1 m3 9010
3.3.0 m2 9020

I don't know if we want to (should ?) continue these numbering rules or simplify this a bit. ;-)

[1] https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/ReleaseMilestone
[2] https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/CWS

HTH

Marcus