I think OpenOffice is about developer freedom to do what he wants to do.
If a someone shows up and wants to do an email client, then let him.

Even if the project spins off into its own realm because there are only
little things that both benefit from.

I do not believe any harm is done by that.

I do not have to believe in the client in order to support this. I just
have to be curious where other OpenOffice modules could benefit from
features an email client would bring.

And then is the trick to do this right. I have already some ideas.

BTW, we use a lot of dynamic libraries. This is a clear hint that
OpenOffice is not monolithic. Just the Architecture is not understood,
or wrong designed / used.

A monolithic build would only consist of static linked libraries.
(According to the book Clean Architecture)

All the best

Peter