I wonder if the problem is that gbuild's default symbol visibility is
hidden, unlike dmake's which was public.

Can you post the output of:
nm -D solver/450/<macprefix>/lib/*AppleRemote.dylib | grep ' T '
and compare against the same from any version before the gbuild commit?

In C/C++ we have to mark functions to export with SAL_DLLPUBLIC_EXPORT in
the .c/.cxx files, or use a more complex setup with a dllapi.h file (
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Symbol_Visibility) when the functions are
declared in header files. Objective C probably needs something similar.