Am 10.04.20 um 13:02 schrieb Dave:
My response is in-line with your original post.

On 10/04/2020 10:02, Peter Kovacs wrote:
Does anyone remeber the thinking behind this or has it been always like
this and I just never knew.
To the best of my recollection it has been this way since Sun open
sourced OOo in 2001.
I suspected as much from Pedro's explanation.

I mean I would not notice it if I had not to describe it to someone else.
Just out of curiosity, what would you consider to be a better
terminology to use for that tab. Obviously the word "Text" would be a
misnomer, since spreadsheet calculations cannot be performed on plain
text, without some form of prior conversion into a numeric format.

an interesting question. Hard to answer.

My choice would be cell characteristics.