Keith (comments in-line)

> > PDF is not an editable format and it is not from any of the "major
> > competitor" suites. In any case you can open PDF files in OpenOffice. Just
> > install the PDF Import extension.
> >

> Yes PDF is an editable format, you just need to have a PDF editor. The
> fact is that user@ is full of people complaining that AOO will not open
> there PDF files.

PDF is designed for printing and page composition. It can be edited but that is
not what it was designed for.
That is why ODF is adopted as "an open document file format for saving and
exchanging office documents that may be edited."

Again: you can open and modify PDF files in Apache OpenOffice. Just install the
PDF Import extension.

> Whether they are a "major competitor" or not is irrelevant, there 2020
> office suite is a competitor and we do not open any of there file
> formats for word processing, spreadsheet, or presentation.

It is not irrelevant. My proposal (and the original sentence) mentioned support
for "major competitors" not support for every file format under the sun.

In any case I agree that WordPerfect should be supported (as well as Apple's
iWork formats) but unless someone is willing to pay a developer to add those
flters I don't see it happening

Regards,
Pedro