Am 20.09.20 um 20:16 schrieb Dave Fisher:
On Sep 20, 2020, at 9:40 AM, Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de> wrote:

Am 19.09.20 um 12:36 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
Keep in mind that C++ Standard has changed a lot in reasoned years, and at
least I would like to go with the new standard. If we stick to the old code for
long time it will make maintenance or development more difficuilt.
yes, that's why I wrote:

... keeping the baseline for every OS as long as (technically) possible ...
As long as a compiler exists on that platform that compiles the older language
standard we should not upgrade.

I started this thread to discuss build tools and to consider what to do when it
becomes difficult to build and have the result work on a minimum platform.

My original suggestion is that:

(1) 4.1.X always keeps the current OS minimums.
IMHO we should retire 4.1.X as soon as we have stabilized 4.2.X
(2) Should 4.2 branch also keep the current OS minimums or consider more recent
OSs as minimums?
Is there anything currently on that branch that is a concern?

(3) Should we consider more recent OS minimums for trunk which may become 4.5
or 5.0?

I think we should adjust 4.2.0 but keep trunk the same for now. After release we will have some more fixes to do.

What should drive the choice for a more recent minimums? Unavoidable
incompatibilities.

1) I think we have to work between OSes our user use and the Requirements our dependencies have.

2) We have difficulties to update some dependencies since they made a change to c++11 or later standard. In a serious way it would mean we would have to maintain those dependencies or we find a way to backport some C++ features. (i do not have a list.)

3) Then the SDKs are moved out of maintenance. On Windows our SDK used in the 4.1.X is already not available. On Mac we have a useable SDK 10.10 that let us keep the Lion minimum OS, but the question is how long. Changeing SDKs seems to be a lot of work. We should consider to move away from the verge of availability.

Has anyone studied modern Java JDKs and if there is an impact on OpenOffice?

Mechtilde reported that our build fails on recent Debian due to Java 11.

My suggestion is:

Linux: Move to CentOs 7 (As we have already decided)

MacOSX: Move to 10.10 (And see how much we can move up on the SDK side.

Windows: Keep WinXP and Move up SDKs as much as possible. (I think latest SDK still supports WinXP target, but I am not sure.)

All the best

Peter