Am 29.12.20 um 20:05 schrieb Dave Fisher:
On Dec 29, 2020, at 10:47 AM, Czesław Wolański <czeslaw.wolan...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I suggest we offer something clearer and more direct. I’m not sure what
that is.
Perhaps we need a compatible java page to point Windows, macOS, and Linux
users
to acceptable versions.
Maybe we have such a page we can better highlight from the Download page?

Link on the download page "Java and Apache OpenOffice"

https://www.openoffice.org/download/common/java.html

Page with sections:
-  "Why Do I Need Java to Use Apache OpenOffice?",
-  "Which Java Version Do I Need to Use Apache OpenOffice?"
-  "Where Can I Get Java?".

Is that a good starting point?

I think so. That page could use a major edit. We don’t need to discuss legacy
releases and the links need to be more direct.

+1

For Oracle looks best: https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
<https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp>

And instead of OpenJDK we should point to AdoptOpenJDK:
https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html <https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html>

It looks like we could even add a button to the download page that might pick
out the proper adoptopenjdk.

Even this is possible. But it takes time as the download style and JavaScript magic needs to be extended.

Until then the simple "Windows 32-bit (x86) (EXE)" drop-down-item is a good and clear statement to separate from 64-bit.

I can also add a 64-bit item with a hint text that AOO 32-bit will run also on Windows 64-bit and I can also add a Java hint.

Marcus