I played with a chapter from the Getting Started guide for about a half
hour on my Linux Mint system and did not have any problems, That included
handling quite a few images, which tended to cause problems on my Windows
system. I then edited the first chapter of the Calc guide. It is 37 pages
and I had to change several of the images. That all went well. I did see
instability when using the Navigator. Something as simple as selecting the
Navigator in the Sidebar and then choosing the Styles and Formatting Deck
in the Sidebar would crash the program. Not every time but frequently. I
also got a crash once using the floating Navigator called from the Standard
toolbar. I reproduced the crash when editing a chapter of the Getting
Started guide also. A few attempts to cause a crash using a new, simple
document did not work but I have not tried that enough to trust that
result. I will try more of that tomorrow.
So, the image handling problem I saw on Windows does not seem to happen on
Linux Mint but I do see a problem with the Navigator.

Francis