Hi Pedro,

Am 02.06.24 um 23:58 schrieb Pedro Lino:
Hi Aivaras, Matthias, all

On 06/02/2024 12:36 PM WEST Aivaras Stepukonis <astepuko...@gmail.com> wrote:
The way I see it, we do need a designer for the new OO icon style to be
complete and to look consistent and up-to-date. Thus, my proposal is to
reach out and see whether we can attract one. I’ll make an effort to do
so, but before I do, I need to collect additional information, so I can
present our needs to the Iconify.design crowd in a clear and concise
fashion.

First off, what visual goals are we trying to achieve through the new
icon style?
I think it would be perfect to have a designer. If you can attract one that
would be fantastic. For the moment Remixicon is a quite complete image set and
apparently the authors are available to add new ones.
As a result, our visual goal for the new icon style could be to produce
a style that hearkens back to Galaxy but is further refined to look
current and in line with the latest generation of OS (the most
widespread being Windows 11) and productivity suites (the most
widespread being Microsoft Office). The style should still be originally
conceived and executed, with the roots in Galaxy (innovation of
tradition, as it were).

Does this sound like a reasonable path to tread in terms of our visual
expectations?
That would be my preference too. I think that monochromatic icons are dull and
require more focus than colored ones which are more easily identifiable. But
again, a custom designed icon set requires a designer. Using existing icons
only requires technical skills.

(I think it’s worth pursuing this task only if it is done well and
feels like a stylistic upgrade; otherwise, the current set of icons
isn’t broken, and needs no fix.)
Current icon sets are not broken but they are incomplete. But this new icon set
would bring not only a UI modernization (for those who want it) but most
importantly to add a proper Dark Icon set instead of the High Contrast which is
currently the Dark style by default.

That problem cannot be solved by a new icon set. This must be done in code! We need a logic to differentiate between High Contrast and Dark Mode.

But of course, when we have achieved this, we would need icon sets for Light UI, Dark UI and High Contrast.

If we decide to work on a new icon set it should be suitable for all these use cases. And we could make it the default theme in a later (major) release.