Dear OpenOffice team,
I am writing to inquire about the feasibility of integrating OpenOffice into a
web-based system.
We are aiming to develop a platform that allows users to edit and save
spreadsheets similar to offline Microsoft Excel, but with the added benefits of
online collaboration and centralized data storage. While Google Spreadsheets
offers these functionalities, we have concerns regarding data confidentiality.
Our proposed system would:

  *   Provide a user-friendly interface: Mimicking the familiar experience of
using offline Excel.
  *   Enable real-time collaboration: Multiple users can edit the same
spreadsheet simultaneously.
  *   Offer secure cloud storage: Protecting sensitive data from unauthorized
access.

Specifically, we would like to know if it is possible to:

  1.  Embed OpenOffice into a web application: Are there any existing examples
or tutorials that could guide us in this process?
  2.  Customize the saved file format: Can we modify OpenOffice to save data in
a format that is more suitable for our database (e.g., PostgreSQL)? Ideally, we
would like to break down the spreadsheet data into individual records for
better organization and querying.

Key considerations for us include:

  *   Performance: The system should be responsive and handle large datasets
efficiently.
  *   Security: We need to ensure that data is encrypted both in transit and at
rest.
  *   Scalability: The system should be able to accommodate a growing number of
users and data.

We believe that OpenOffice, with its powerful features and open-source nature,
would be an ideal foundation for our project. Any insights or guidance you can
provide would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Ian Shih