Hi,

I'm wondering what this discussion is about.

* what actual problem we do have with the current CVS setup now, which of these problem do we really need to adress urgently ?

* indeed distributed SCM tools are interesting and we should watch the development there. But if we talk about these as toys we should move this thread to discuss first and come back to this list, if we have done some more serious investigations. In Usenet, comp.software.config-mgmt might be a good resource for this.

Martin

Daniel Carrera wrote:

Ken Foskey wrote:

It seems that you got the idea of having childworkspaces :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but childworkspaces still touch the central server, they just operate on a private branch...

Yes, you are correct.  The concept of the new SCM tools are a
fundamental shift in the way you work.  The ability to branch and merge
externally on your own tree appeals to me.  For example when a new CWS
is created internally for review there is a period of time until the
merge, during that time I want to be able to merge that branch into my
tree then when head merges with that branch I want the merge to actually
work.  The new SCM tools do that.

It looks like the fact that OOo uses CWS demonstrates that there is a real value in the modern SCMs. :-) It's like it's trying to stack some of that functionality but doesn't quite manage to. :-)

Incidentally, I took a second look at Darcs, and actually it's just as easy to install as monotone. That is, there's a self-contained binary available for most platforms. I just missed that link the first time. I downloaded the one for Solaris and I've been playing with it. So far, I'm happy. It has all the nifty things I said about monotone. Also, the commands are simpler and less verbose. I've read the "theory of patches" and I like it.

I've read that Darcs may have speed issues with very large repositories. I also read elsewhere that this was supposed to be fixed. So I don't know.

Darcs also uses hashes to store versions, it just doesn't ask you to type them on the command line like Monotone. It also doesn't ask you to supply a database. Everything goes into the _darcs folder.

Darcs did not ask me to generate an RSA key like Monotone. I wonder if Darcs comes with other means for signing packages. I'm sure there must be something. Maybe they have hooks to GPG :-) I like GPG.

In any event, for my current purposes (toying :) either is great, but Darcs wins because the commands are shorter and I'm so lazy. :-)

This is fun!

Cheers,
Daniel.