Shawn McDermott wrote:

>> Begin forwarded message:

>>> From: Bruce Byfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>> Date: May 8, 2005 9:26:07 PM EDT
>>> To: debian-openoffice@lists.debian.org
>>> Subject: FSF to fork OOo over java
>>>
>>> See:
>>>
>>> http://www.fsf.org/news/open-office-java.html
>>>
>>> I'm planning to follow up on this news in an article for Newsforge. Does
>>> anybody have any comments they would like to make?
>
> I had an interesting conversation with Richard Stallman.  seems he is
> backing off of the fork idea.  Seems he has made the decision to help
> OOo work with a 'free' java implementation rather than fork OOo.  I
> think this is the better way to go, and hopefully he will continue down
> this path rather than a fork.

That's nice to read. Scott Carr had suggested this in an e-mail he sent
to RMS (thanks to Scott!). And RMS was clear in his answer that he
doesn't have any problems with Java in general - he just wants to have
the code running on a free[TM] RE. Obviously he didn't know about the
JRE framework we have created in OOo to allow pluging in any Java RE
that fulfils some basic criteria (that BTW gcj matches).

It makes me happy to hear that pragmatism is more widespread than it
could be expected from the statement that started this discussion.

OTOH it also shows me that we should emphasize our efforts regarding
JREs a little bit more. That means for the side of the OOo "core"
developers:

help integrating other JREs and be more careful in trying to avoid
problematic Java classes and *make this known*

for other (OOo) developers interested in a "free software only" environment:

work on a free JRE (f.e. gcj) and/or provide non-Java replacements for
Java code in OOo if preferred

and for everybody else:

please stop the anti-Java rant.

Best regards,
Mathias

Please reply to the list only, [EMAIL PROTECTED] is a spam sink.